Philosophy is held on the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month. It runs from 10:00am to 11:30am in the Sunbury Footy Club Boardroom. The philosophy group offers a group discussion following an audio lecture / podcast on philosophical matters. It provides some introduction to the thinking of great philosophers up to the modern day and always keeps one eye focused on practice to help the group confront its own moral prejudices and hypocrisies.
Current Affairs is held on the 2nd and 4th Fridays of the month. It runs from 10:00am to 11:30am in the Sunbury Footy Club Boardroom. An opportunity to discuss current affairs with the help of an audio lecture / podcast or guest facilitator. The topic for the next session will be agreed by the group.
Health Reports will be held in Term 4. A trial run of four sessions in this new interest area will occur in the next two months – on the 2nd& 4thMondays of 14 & 28 October and 11thand 25thNovember in the Footy Club Board Room 10am-12 noon.
Unit 4 – Epistemology – What is knowledge. The two major approaches to knowledge: rationalism and empiricism; the view of Descartes, Locke, Berkeley and Hume.
Unit 3 – Two Theories of Knowledge: Plato’s forms; the Cave and levels of reality, idealism; the philosophical naturalism of Aristotle
Unit 2 – In the Beginning. The beginnings of Western Philosophy; some problems and questions of the ancient Greeks; the life and death of Socrates; the Sophists
Current Affairs sessions:
- China bars liberal politicians from Beijing Trip
- Victorian child protection fails 35 kids who suicided over last 12 years – looking for a Federal response
- Older Aussies die waiting for Home Care package. Interim Royal Commission says cruel, discriminatory
- Tensions rise amongst Rohingya refugees and locals in Bangladesh. Buddhist peace and love?
- Australian defence minister, Linda Reynolds, urges US to balance China’s presence in Indo Pacific.
- WA communities call for government intervention on youth crime surges in Kimberly. (Vehicle theft)
- Next chapter in Aged Care. Now described as cruel and discriminatory in preliminary commission leak.
- New Bradfield Scheme to drought proof Australia. Possibility?
- Cathay Pacific, staff sackings, pro-democracy Hong Kong. ( Time permitting)
Health Reports sessions:
- Dispelling assumptions about exercise and fitness.
- Treating “heartburn”. Surgery or Medication? Important info about proton pump inhibitors (Losec, Nexium, Somac etc).
- Vale Richard Scotton. Whitlam, Hawke’s Medibank – Medicare architect, relevant to ALL of us.
- Regular exercise is good for your heart, no matter how old you are.
- Ultrasound for Alzheimer’s? Can micro bubbles and ultrasound blast away amyloid (Alzheimers plaques).
- Good news for Early Birds. It is the best time for exercise.
- Massage and music therapy for dementia. Throw away the chemical restraints( anti-psychotics)
Looking forward to Mondays & Fridays!