U3A Sunbury Committee Members – Role Descriptions
Note: The role descriptions below are not a listing of Committee positions. Rather, it lists basic roles needed by Sunbury U3A. Some committee members may hold more than one role. Not all persons handling these various roles need to be on the Committee of Management, they could be a member of a sub-committee. The only positions required to be filled under our Rules of Incorporation are the four Office Bearers (President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer). Office Bearer positions can only be held for a maximum of three years.
President (Office Bearer):
- Seek continuous improvement and actively work towards achieving clear goals in areas including funding, accommodation, volunteers, members, courses, events, technology and publicity.
- Actively promote and establish links with other community, government, business and U3A groups.
- Provide direction, motivation and support to all committee and Sunbury U3A members.
- Chair all committee meetings, including the Annual General Meeting.
- Present progress reports at each committee meeting and AGM.
Vice-President (Office Bearer): (this role is generally performed in conjunction with another role)
- Seek continuous improvement and actively work towards achieving goals in areas including funding, accommodation, volunteers, members, courses, events, technology and publicity.
- Provide an additional source of leadership and support to the committee and Sunbury U3A membership.
- Assist the President as required.
Treasurer (Office Bearer):
- Maintain records of income and expenses for Sunbury U3A, including tracking grant income and expenditure.
- Ensure that fiduciary standards are maintained and ensure all expenditure has committee approval.
- Act as contact with Sunbury U3A’s bank and grant bodies.
- Submit Sunbury U3A data to Consumer Affairs each year.
- Maintain, update and pay insurance policies on behalf of Sunbury U3A.
- Collect fees and maintain list of paid Memberships to verify with Membership Secretary.
- Present financial statements at each committee meeting and AGM
- Prepare and present an annual statement and future budget for approval by the Committee.
- Assist with applications for funding and grants.
Secretary (Office Bearer):
- Ensure the Constitution and Rules and By-Laws of Incorporations under which Sunbury U3A operates as an Incorporated Body are followed.
- Act as contact person with the U3A Network, the Department of Consumer Affairs, Hume City Council and other bodies providing services to Sunbury U3A.
- Maintain official records of important correspondence, meetings and policy documentation.
- Ensure membership records are maintained.
- Submit Sunbury U3A membership data to U3A Network Victoria each year.
- Assist with applications for funding and grants.
- Prepare and distribute the agenda for committee meetings and AGM.
- Take notes and record decisions made at committee meetings and AGM, and produce minutes which, once approved at the subsequent meeting, become a final record.
- Present progress reports and new memberships at each committee meeting.
- Generate and respond to official correspondence as required.
- Manage the database of members in Sunbury U3A Members Administration System (UMAS) with the Secretary.
- Collect membership fees and follow up any outstanding fees.
- Produce and distribute membership name tags.
- Act as the point of contact and send out welcoming information to new and potential members.
- Act as almoner for Sunbury U3A.
- Actively work towards achieving an interesting and entertaining range of courses.
- Prepare and publish updated course information and timetable each term.
- Manage the database of courses in Sunbury U3A Members Administration System (UMAS) with IT Webmaster.
- Oversee enrolment for courses in UMAS.
- Prepare and chair meetings with group leaders at the end of each term.
- Liaise with, encourage, and support potential and current group leaders on an ongoing basis.
- Present progress reports at each committee meeting.
- Actively work towards achieving an interesting and entertaining range of speakers, outings and events.
- Arrange bookings for speakers, outings and events.
- Negotiate with speakers on any fees and expenses within the terms set by the committee.
- Prepare speakers, outings and events information and promotional articles for the website.
- Act as host to guest speakers and ensure facilities and audio/visual equipment are set up as required.
- Assist the Courses Coordinator and Events Coordinator as required.
- Assistance may include:
- Preparing newsletters.
- Arranging bookings for outings or events.
- Purchasing refreshments for events and courses.
- Arranging venues and managing course attendance records.
- Monitoring course waiting lists and contact members to fill vacancies.
- Maintaining a Sunbury U3A Handbook for Group Leaders and Volunteers.
- Maintain, edit and update the content on Sunbury U3A’s website, ensuring appropriate editorial content, professional presentation and accessibility for members and the public.
- Act as the contact with the hosting company, the domain registrar and U3A Support Team.
- Report on the usage received by the website to the committee.
Delegate Network Representative: (this role is generally performed in conjunction with another role)
- Regularly attend and participate in U3A Network meetings as the Sunbury U3A representative.
- Present reports of Network meetings to each committee meeting.
Equipment and Property Manager:
- Arrange repairs to property as required through property owners.
- Maintain and update records of lease agreements as required.
- Ensure venue rental is paid as required.
- Maintain the assets and key register for Sunbury U3A.
- Ensure equipment is in working order and stored correctly.
- Arrange an annual inspection and safety check of equipment
- Arrange appropriate disposal of obsolete/damaged items.
- Train group leaders in equipment use as required.
- Obtain required supplies and equipment approved by Treasurer for group leaders and committee members.